st: RE: overlaid graphics

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: overlaid graphics
Date   Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:29:35 -0000

It seems to me you don't want to overlay
two time series as such. You just want two
scales, one a multiple of the other. Here's
another way to do that.

Let's read in some time series data

. use http://www.stata-press.com/data/r7/grunfeld.dta, clear

If I pick a time series

. twoway connect mvalue year if company == 1

and I also find out its initial value of 3078.5, I can
then use a utility -mylabels- from SSC which is designed for
these problems:

* you want to show labels on one scale, but

* the graph is working with values on another scale.

In this case, values range from just below to almost
twice the initial value. I decide on a base of 100
and index values 80 100 120 140 160 180, whereas
the graph is working with values which are those
multiplied by 3078.5/100. That is,

	label I want   scale used by -graph-
	------------------------------------
	80             80 * 3078.5 / 100
	100            100 * 3078.5 / 100
	etc.

I put the desired labelling information in
a local macro:

. mylabels 80(20)180 , myscale(@ * 3078.5 / 100)
	local(labels)

-mylabels- echoes the macro, so I can see when
I'm on the right track:

2462.8 "80" 3078.5 "100" 3694.2 "120" 4309.9 "140" 4925.6 "160" 5541.3 "180"

A suitable graph is then something like

. twoway connect mvalue year if company ==1 ,
	yaxis(1 2)
	yla(3000(500)6000, ang(h) axis(1))
	yla(`labels', ang(h) axis(2))
	yli(3078.5, axis(2))
	ytitle(initial value = 100, axis(2))

If you just want fractions, then the call is
clearly

. mylabels 0.8(0.2)1.8 , myscale(@ * 3078.5)
	local(labels)

John D. Levendis