st: RE: Getting at value labels

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Getting at value labels
Date   Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:13:22 -0000

I would do this. I assume value labels attached
to -marEduc-.

separate aRate, by(marEduc) shortlabel
local aRatevars "`r(varlist)'"
twoway connected `aRatevars' year

Sometimes even the -shortlabel- is too long.
(There should be an option -veryshortlabel-
to go beyond the -shortlabel- I suggested
a while back.)

ssc inst labutil
labnoeq `aRatevars'

will cut them down further. The first principles
way to do that is something like

foreach v of local aRatevars {
	local label : variable label `v'
	local eq = index(`"`label'", "=") - 1