RE: st: Unbalanced panel data + Adjusted R-square

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Unbalanced panel data + Adjusted R-square
Date   Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:31:06 -0000

An overlapping set of prejudices on R-square can be found at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/rsquared.html

The spirit of adjusted R-sq is to penalise
for using up df. Sensible! yet unfortunately, the literature
on AIC, BIC, etc., etc. shows that there are lots
of ways of collapsing

{goodness of fit, parsimony}

on to a single number encapsulating

{model virtue}

-- all highly defensible and yet all highly objectionable.

Stas Kolenikov