st: Boxplot print problem

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Boxplot print problem
Date   Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:35:23 -0500

Posting this for Steven Harvey who is having a problem posting.

m.p.

Dear Statalisters,
I am trying to produce a boxplot comparing three different variables across three different countries. I started by saving the default graphing scheme (colors) and pasting it into a Word document. The images look beautiful on screen but the boxes print as a black outline & median line over a white (no fill) box--no way to distinguish one variable from another.
I tried the set printcolor command in different options (gs1-3).
Printed directly from Stata (File/Print Graph), it produces boxes with a uniform gray tone. When pasted into Word it turns back to black outlines around white boxes--no way to distinguish which variable is which in either case. Then I tried setting the fill and outline colors for the boxes manually choosing gs1 for var1, gs8 for var2 and gs16 for var3. With a bit of tweaking, this produced a graph that printed well directly from Stata--all boxes and variables were distinguishably different. But when I pasted it into Word, same thing: black outlines, white boxes.
I then tried saving as different image types (.tif, eps & .png--my original attempts were all with .emf format). the .eps file didn't print at all and the resolution on .eps with tif preview was so low I didn't even bother printing it. When I printed the .tif and .png images (inserted into Word), the fill colors in the boxes came out correctly, but the text resolution of labels, headings, etc. was unacceptably poor.
Can anyone suggest what I can do to get a publication quality grayscale image inserted into a Word document? (Note: sample syntax below.)
Many thanks,
Steve Harvey
graph box totc1c2 totg1g2 tot, medtype(line) over(country) box(1,
bfcolor(gs0) blcolor(black) blwidth(medium)) box(2, bfcolor(gs8)
blcolor(black) blwidth(medium)) box(3, bfcolor(gs16) blcolor(black)
blwidth(medium)) mark(1, mcolor(gs0)) mark(2, mcolor(gs8)) mark(3,
mcolor(gs16))
graph export "C:\Documents and Settings\sharvey\~\myboxplot.emf", replace

Steven A. Harvey, MHS, PhD(c)
Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
Department of International Health