st: Re: API or dll to read Stata file format

From   Christopher F Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: API or dll to read Stata file format
Date   Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:24:33 -0500

On Feb 6, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Adam wrote:

Does anyone know of a dll or API reference that is used to read stata file
structure from another application?

I am trying to write some code to read the file structure of a stata file
and DON'T want to use a third party software package.

SPSS has an API reference to for their spssio32.dll, and I am looking for
something like this for Stata.

NOTE: I don't want to convert the file to another stats package format using
Stat/Transfer or DBMS/Copy.
"DLL" sounds like some OS-specific construct. The file format for Stata .dta files is published in the Programming manual, [p] file formats .dta. You can use that specification to write your code to read the .dta file without making that routine specific to any particular OS.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/