st: Re: Frontier analysis

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Frontier analysis
Date   Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:08:48 -0600

Erik,

Technical efficiency can be calculated 3 ways:

    TE = exp(-E(u|e)]

    TE = exp(-M(u|e)]

    TE = E(exp(-u|e)]

These will not equal to since exp[-E(u|e)] != E[exp(-u|e)]

However, the last technical efficiency measure (by Battese and Coelli (1988)
"Prediction of Firm-Level Technical Efficiencies with a Generalized Frontier
Production Function and Panel Data"  Journal of Econometrics, 38) is preferred,
particularly when u is not close to zero and it is consistent with the
definition of technical efficiency, see Kumbhakar and Lovell (2000) Stochastic
Frontier Analysis.

Scott