Re: st: ivprob

From   "Brian P. Poi" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ivprob
Date   Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:06:00 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004, Martin Linde-Rahr wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm estimating an instrumental probit using ivprob. The command does not
> give any log-likelihood, nor any measure of fit in the result. Only a clean
> standard table with std errors, etc. Can anyone help me out?
>
> regards,
>
> Martin

Martin,

The -ivprob- command available on SSC uses Newey's (1987) efficient
two-step estimator.  The maximum likelihood probit estimator is employed
twice during the implementation, but it is in fact a minimum chi-squared
estimator, not a maximum likelihood estimator.

The coefficients' t-statistics can be used to determine statistical
significance, but deriving the marginal effects from two-step models such
as this one is nontrivial. Wooldridge (2002, section 15.7.2) has a good
discussion of a slightly simpler two-step probit estimator and the issues
involved in getting the marginal effects.