st: RE: Sharing ado files on a network

From   "Nick J. Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Sharing ado files on a network
Date   Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:58:50 -0000

Locally I put extra stuff in a directory
that all student machines can "see". I have
write access to that directory (and the students
don't).

Another possibility, for SSC material, is to encourage students
to use -ssc- directly to install .ado and .hlp files
in their own filespace. Thus if they are in a
directory to which they have write access,

ssc copy foo.ado
ssc copy foo.hlp

is enough to install the simplest case of a -foo-
program and its help. Admittedly, other packages
are more complicated.

An advantage of this is that they don't depend on
anybody else to install stuff, especially if they
explore and find something useful by themselves.
However, they
have to understand that they must be in the same
directory to use that, and from various other
points of view the procedure might not be best for your
circumstances. But these are graduate students with
a number like 593, correct?