st: RE: Plotting multiple (was Growth) Curves

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Plotting multiple (was Growth) Curves
Date   Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:23:39 -0000

This objection is not contrived at all.
The problem exists and it bites. Over
several years I have seen it often, heard
about it often, on Statalist and elsewhere, written a FAQ on it and
written
one program jointly (-longplot-, with Zhiqiang Wang) and one
individually (-linkplot-) aimed at least in part at helping
users overcome this problem.

Note that a prior sort on time and -connect(L)- are _not_
sufficient to solve the problem. That's the whole point.

Even in the particular example of growth curves,
with human data at least large datasets will not be experimental,
but will have the imperfections of panel data with dropouts.

Allan's point about -xtline-'s legend is well taken and underlay
my reference to -linkplot-. However, -xtline, legend(off)- is
easy enough whenever the legend is pointless.