Re: st: Re: specifying difference in H0 of ttest

From   "Steichen Family" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: specifying difference in H0 of ttest
Date   Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:42:56 -0500

Kristen --

To me, this appears to be an equivalence testing problem, similar to what I
asked about a few days ago.  Stata has program -pkequiv- for performing an
equivalence test for paired data derived from a crossover design but it does
not have a module for a simple two-independent-samples design.  I have been
investigating how to determine the "classic confidence interval for
bioequivalence" for non-crossover designs and it seems straightforward using
elementary features of Stata.  I suspect that the TOST (two one-sided
t-tests) procedure can also be carried out using elementary features, but I
have not confirmed that yet.

The classic and TOST procedures use a null hypothesis that your two
concentrations differ more than a fixed amount (equal StDev in your case)
vs. an alternative hypothesis that the concentrations are equal.  You hope
to reject the null so you can declare equality.  From my initial reading,
the classic analysis appears to be equivalent to confirming that the 90% CI
about the difference in concentrations (Diff) falls completely in the
interval

  Diff - StDev   --------  Diff + StDev

where StDev is the fixed amount the two concentrations are allowed to
differ.

If so, then all you need to do is generate an appropriate 90% CI and confirm
it does (or does not) fall fully in the above interval.  -ttest- can be used
to calculate the CI and it will easily handle the unequal n situation you
have.

If anyone will confirm (or deny) that this is an appropriate approach to
performing the "classic confidence interval for bioequivalence" for
independent designs, I would appreciate it.

Tom