st: Graph size problem solved - but it's a "feature"

From   Allan Reese <[email protected]>
To   Stata distribution list <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Graph size problem solved - but it's a "feature"
Date   Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:23:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, R. Allan Reese wrote:
> ... I'll mention something noticed yesterday that I
> have yet to investigate.  I have commands to draw a series of graphs
> with fixed ysize, then combine them into one display with fixed ysize
> that is the sum of the parts, and is 9.5 inches.  I print the display
> from Stata and it is 9.5in high and 6.5in wide.  The display is
> exported as .emf and read into Word 2000 by Insert/Picture/from file on
> a blank page.  When that page is printed, the display is just over 8in
> high but there is a ruled line at the bottom of the page.

The ruled line turned out to be a reference line I had specified but which
was outside the range of Y values.  That was my mistake, but I wonder if
it is helpful that options yline (and xline) do not implicitly widen the
plotted range.  (*For StataCorp maybe to consider*).  I had numerous
options, including

   scatter y x, ylabel(,format(%4.2f) angle(0) labsize(*.6)) yli(0)

Another feature that strikes me as maybe not the best default is that
"graph combine" by default puts a border round the joined graphs, so they
print with obvious joins.  Easily overcome: I'm using,

   graph combine g1 g2 imargin(zero) graphregion(margin(zero)) ///
      col(1) xsize(6.5) ysize(9.5)

R. Allan Reese                       Email:     [email protected]