st: Cutpoints and Data

From   tpolcyn <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Cutpoints and Data
Date   Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:28:10 -0400

Hello,
After many unfruitful hours perusing STATA manuals and the Archives, I thought
it might be best to query the knowledgeable group on the listserve.

One of my independent variables for my panel dataset ranges from a scale of 1
to 7.  My professor therefore suggested that I investigate ologit and oprobit
models for my regressions.  Unfortunately, my dependent variables are
uncooperative in this respect because they all have a range of more than 50
categories.

I have looked at a kdensity of my dependent variables and used the tabulate
command for assistance in determining where to impose cut points.  I am aware
of "hordered" which performs a Hausman-type specification test whether
categories in a ologit or oprobit model can be joined or dropped. To this end
it estimates another ologit/oprobit model with a collaped response.

My question though is how do I go about grouping my data? How do I divide my
data into for example three ordered groups? I think I am missing some basic
STATA manipulation....

Many thanks,
Tania Polcyn

Master's of Development Economics