st: RE: Truncating x-axis in kernel density graphs

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Truncating x-axis in kernel density graphs
Date   Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:52:51 -0000

If I understand you correctly, you can just
use a two-step of generating the smoothed
pdf and then graphing for an interval.
As you imply, you should not estimate the pdf on just
part of the support.

Other options in nearby territory:

1. Transform and work on a transformed scale.

2. Do the kernel estimation on a log scale
and back-transform the density
function estimate to the raw scale. The manipulations
are easy but a little beyond Stata 8's -kdensity-.
The calculus and Stata code can be worked out by looking
within -mdensity- from SSC. The effort is well
worth it; with highly skewed data it can
be difficult to choose a kernel width sensible
both near the mode(s) and in the extreme tail.
Usually the tail looks lumpier than it should be.
This has been suggested as an extension of -kdensity-.
There is no public port of -mdensity- to Stata 8.

P.S. "skewed to the right" is I think more common
terminology when the right-hand tail is long.
Skewness takes its name from whichever tail is
longer, not from where the main hump is.

Ramani Gunatilaka