Re: thoughts on manuals [Was st: -margin-, -mfx compute- and -manuals-]

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: thoughts on manuals [Was st: -margin-, -mfx compute- and -manuals-]
Date   Sun, 16 Nov 2003 01:45:28 -0800 (PST)

You know, Clive, this was discussed less than 6 months ago, and is amply
documented in the archive.  To make a long story short, the manuals are
cheap.  They are investments.  They will pay off over the rest of your
life (even after the software has been superceded by stata18--because you
will learn very useful things to make you survive in the field until
stata18 arrives, as well as for other reasons).  If a person is unwilling
or unable to make a human capital investment early, that person will reap
lower returns later.  That's the way it works.

Being a student, that's what one is doing--among other things; making
hci's.  It's okay to decide the stata manuals are not a good hci.
Although it is probably especially penny wise and pound foolish for
someone without any other way to access the syntax to regard the manuals
as poor hci's, it is just wrong to assert that the manuals are expensive.
As investments go, they are cheap--very very cheap.  And, as the saying
goes, if you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

Respectfully yours,

Sam