st: update executable for a multiuser system

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: update executable for a multiuser system
Date   Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:01:45 +0100

hi all,

I have just started to manage the Stata updates for our research center.
Regarding the updates of the Stata executable I have a question: Do all users
need to exit Stata before swaping the executable?

Before I -update, swap- I always write to the Stata users to save their data
and exit Stata. After updating I write again that they can continue working.
However it  is my understanding that the Stata executable is loadad into the
computer only once and that the users therefore do not at all recognize the
change of the executable while their Stata session. My email warnings would
be be unnecessary than.

Best regards,
uli