Re: st: Re: downloading without internet access

From   Ramani Gunatilaka <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: downloading without internet access
Date   Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:05:55 +0000

Thanks so much for the feedback, Kit.
Perhaps if I give a few more details about my particular circumstances it may be useful for others experiencing similar difficulties and looking for solutions.
1) I'm using WindowsXP and can directly access internet from this computer. So e-mail, internet access with Windows Explorer is just a click away.
2) I can access internet from within Stata only when the URL is clearly stated, i.e. the http://www. link shows up in the online help.
3) But I cannot access internet for anything else. For example, findit returns r(2) even though I've increased the timeout to 500! Same result with the ssc install command. Same with update.
The reason could be that this computer was once configured for the main university network but is now connected to the university halls of residence network.
4) I thought of trying the method I wrote in with earlier after reading the user support page on updating Stata without direct internet access from within Stata - http://www.stata.com/support/updates/stata8.html
I update Stata periodically (I am now on the 31 October version) by following these instructions.
5) Since applying the same logic to ado files, I've downloaded three ado files and their help files from your site.
Wrt ado files, since they get saved in the c:/ado/plus subdirectory as txt files, I rename them by simply deleting the txt suffix and retaining the ado suffix so it is, say, makematrix.ado.
6) The ado files downloaded in this manner (e.g. make matrix and outreg) worked. As for the help files, I noticed that the help files of the newer ado files, e.g. makematrix.ado, display well when -help makematrix- is typed. However, the formatting of the older outreg help file disappeared and the text just wrapped around without pause.
Thanks once again for your advice,
Ramani