st: RE: Joinby (without the nonsense)

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Joinby (without the nonsense)
Date   Mon, 3 Nov 2003 10:15:16 -0000

You're correct, and I'm wrong and surprised,
that Stata allows variable names with a "�" character.
(I wrote that as the symbol for the British pound
currency, just in case it appears as something else.)
This contradicts the documented rules for variable names. I
wouldn't rely on it working in all circumstances.

However, your problem remains difficult to
diagnose without precise details of what you typed
and what Stata typed in return.

You may find it more efficient to contact Stata
tech-support with at least the following
information.

1. The results of -about- in your Stata.

2. The results of a -describe- on the
two datasets in question.

3. The precise -joinby- command you
typed and what Stata typed in return.