st: Re: pre-Panther Mac OS X update problems

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: pre-Panther Mac OS X update problems
Date   Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:10:19 -0500

On Thursday, Oct 30, 2003, at 02:33 US/Eastern, Eric wrote:

Chinh Nguyen ([email protected]) wrote:

Stata 8.2 is now available as of October 28, 2003. However, Stata 8.1 for the
Macintosh could fail to properly perform an -update swap- to this version when
run in Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther). There should be no problems with -update
swap- when using previous versions of OS X. You can tell that -update swap-
has failed if after you execute the command, Stata exits but the latest update
does not automatically launch itself.

This problem apparently isn't unique to OS X 10.3 as my -update swap- failed on my OS X 10.2.8 machine. Furthermore, Stata did not create the STATANEW folder as described elsewhere in Chinh's eMail. I called Stata & ended up downloading the update from their website directly.
What Chinh described on Statalist as the manual fix to 'update swap' bit me with *Jaguar* last night -- I have not yet updated OS X to Panther (I will hope to do so today). When I did the update executable and update swap, it quit Stata, but did not launch the new version. When I examined further I found the NEWSTATA folder, and I renamed the existing Stata/SE and moved the one in that folder into the Stata folder. That worked fine (once I discarded my alias and made a new one). But the assertion that this problem will not occur with Jaguar is not true. I have had repeated problems on two different Jaguar 10.2.8 systems with executable updates, including this one.

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/