st: ghost value label problem

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ghost value label problem
Date   Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:00:50 -0600 (CST)

Dear Statalist,

This is not a Halloween pranl. I am actually having a problem with ghost
value labels. I am not sure whence the problem arises, so I will start at
the beginning:

1) I converted a dataset from SPSS to Stata
2) I dropped all of the value labels using "label drop _all". "label list"
showed that there are no value labels.
3) I cleaned the data and labeled SOME of the values myself.
4) Some of the numeric variables that had a value label before I dropped
them, still "have" them. For example, "codebook leved27" yields

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
leved27
Highest Level of Education Completed (Self-Report)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                  type:  numeric (byte)
                 label:  V3078, but label does not exist

                 range:  [1,99]                       units:  1
         unique values:  12                       missing .:  6/123

                  mean:   5.91453
              std. dev:   9.32976

           percentiles:        10%       25%       50%       75%       90%
                                 2         2         3         9        10

"des leved27" yields

              storage  display     value
variable name   type   format      label      variable label
leved27         byte   %9.0g       V3078      Highest Level of Education
                                                Completed (Self-Report)

However, V3078 does not exist, and not all variables are effected. When I
attempt to drop the label by hand, Stata gives me an error message saying
that it does not exist. In my analysis, I segregate the variables based on
whether they have value labels (other then yesno) or not, and it would be
helpful if I could do this. This also makes me worried that there are some
deeper problems that are not merely inconvenient.

Please help!

Dimitriy Masterov

Dimitriy V. Masterov

Work: