st: RE: Tables and row/column percentages

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Tables and row/column percentages
Date   Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:02:57 -0000

The short answer is that -table- does not
provide row and column percents.
I guess that the reason for that, historically
and also logically, is that -tabulate-
was already in existence as a command
able to do that, at least for one- and two-way tables,
although -tabulate- does not accept pweights.
However, some experiments suggest that you
get the same results using iweights.

Various hacks exist to tackle part of this lack
directly. -tablecol- from Nick Winter
and -tablepc- from myself may be found on
SSC. Nick's approach is a wrapper approach;
mine is a prepare-variable-in-advance approach.

There is a general discussion of tables
in Stata in "Problems with tables, Part I"
Stata Journal. Stata Journal 3(3):309--324 (2003).
from which it is apparent that "Problems with
tables, Part II" will follow. I understand
that there are no current plans for "Problems
with tables, Part III".

Following on the runaway success of "The matrix",
"The matrix transposed", "The matrix eigenanalysed",
etc., other media may be used to publish this material.

I don't understand how using -table- would be
more efficient than using -tabulate-.

SURAN, LUCIANA