st: RE: Making bar charts readable in a grayscale photocopy.

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Making bar charts readable in a grayscale photocopy.
Date   Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:25:00 -0000

Daniel R Sabath

> I was originally going to ask about how to fill an -hbar- graph with
> crosshatch patterns, but since I don't want to reopen a can
> of worms (see
> conversation between Nick and Ed back in April,
> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2003-04/msg00132.html
> ) I'll rephrase
> it thusly.
>
> When given that graphs will be viewed after a degradation
> of the output has
> occurred (multiple photocopying), how do you adjust the original to
> compensate in advance?
>
> In a nutshell. What methods do you use to make sure a
> reviewer can see the
> differences between groupings on a chart? Right now, about
> a third of the
> bars all look the same since they are so similar in grayscale.

I can see that can of worms right in
front of me. Trouble is, I left my Swiss
army knife at home. More to the point, Stata
doesn't offer such patterns.

I'd agree with Lee Sieswerda and Friedrich Huebler.
In fact, I'd go further.

On the whole, the best way of explaining
which bars are which is text labelling,
I would suggest. What more direct way to
state the categories being shown?