st: Two models or one dummy

From   Shahbaz Ali Sheikh <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Two models or one dummy
Date   Mon, 13 Oct 2003 17:01:49 -0400

Hi everyone,

Is there any test in STATA that helps you decide, whether to run two seperate
models by dividing the sample on the basis of an exogenous variable or
include a dummy variable.

I confused because when I run the regressions on a single model including the
dummy, the interactions are insignificant. However, when I run seperate
models by dividing the sample on the basis of the dummy taking 1 and 0, I get
completely different and signficant results.

Is there a way in STATA to test when we should run seperate models instead of
a including a dummy varible?
Thanks.
Shahbaz
PhD Candidate