st: Difference between svylogit vs. svytab

From   "James W. Shaw" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Difference between svylogit vs. svytab
Date   Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:12:18 -0400

Dear Statalisters:

I have data from a cross-sectional survey with 4,000 observations.  The
sample may be divided into two groups:  group 1 (n=3,700) and group 2
(n=300).  I wish to compare group 1 with group 2 on important demographic
characteristics (e.g., age, gender, race/ethnicity, income).  Several of the
variables I wish to compare between group 1 and group 2 are categorical.
For example, income is measured using 6 categories.

There are missing data for several of the demographic variables.  For
example, out of 4,000 possible observations, I have 3,450 observations on
income.  I would like to use multiple imputation (as implemented by
the -hotdeck- procedure) to impute values for missing data so that I can
compare group 1 with group 2.

Typically, the model test for the following logistic regression

xi:  logistic group i.income

would yield the same result (p-value) as

tab group income

However, I am working with survey data.  I have noted that

xi:  svylogit group i.income

does not yield the same result (p-value) as

svytab group income

My questions are as follows:

1)  Why do svylogit and svytab yield different results?

2)  What does this difference mean?  In other words, can I still interpret
the model test for svylogit as a valid test for whether income differs
between the two groups (or is associated with group membership)?

3)  Assuming that I can interpret the model test for svylogit as a test for
whether income varies between the two groups, could I use -hotdeck- as
follows to impute the missing data and interpret the overall F test as a
test for whether income differs between the two samples:

hotdeck income, by(sex race) imp(10) command(xi: logistic sample i.income
[pw = weight], cluster(psu)) parms( Iincome_2  Iincome_3  Iincome_4
Iincome_5  Iincome_6)  keep(_all) store

4)  Is there any other way that one could hot deck a 2-by-k (in the above
example, 2-by-6) chi-square test using Stata?

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Jim Shaw
Research Associate