st: RE: Slight bug? in graph

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Slight bug? in graph
Date   Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:16:31 +0100

Fred Wolfe

> I was trying to make an -fpfit- graph, but had a typo
> (fpit). Stata then gave me an error. When I corrected the
> typo, the next (correct) command failed (see below). I then
> added various schemes to the command and fpfit ran without
> trouble. It would seem that Stata is leaving something
> behind after the first failure that induces the second.
>
> The error messages are clearly inscrutable ...
>
> . twoway fpit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> Super invalid member variable identifier
> r(198);
>
> . twoway fpfit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> invalid line in style file graphstyle/default:
> set declared_xsize scheme x
> invalid line in style file graphstyle/default:
> set declared_ysize scheme y
> invalid syntax
> r(198);
>
> . twoway fpfit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> scheme(s2mono)
>
> . twoway fpfit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> scheme(s1mono)
>
> . twoway fpfit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> scheme(s2color)
>
> . twoway fpfit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> scheme(s1color)
>
> . twoway fpfit pure plaggi_scale if luse, estcmd(logistic)
> scheme(sj)

I can't reproduce this with -twoway fpit <stuff>-. That
for me produces a very reasonable message.

Bug or not, Stata can't read your mind here. Next time, type

. discard

to flush out all the bits and pieces loaded and
allow it a clean start on your next command.

As often mentioned, the graphics programs are
class-based. Mostly that's a real feature. It also
means that on occasion there is a string
of messages several deep as you get booted out
of a series of nested programs. Admittedly,
perhaps three people at Stata Corp understand
most or all such messages, but usually
you can do your own debugging by identifying
the typo responsible.