st: RE: "Diagonalizing" a non-symmetric matrix

From   "MITRA PINAKI (MAR1PXM)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: "Diagonalizing" a non-symmetric matrix
Date   Thu, 2 Oct 2003 12:15:35 -0400

I would like to clarify my original problem. I have a couple of 88 by 88
square matrices, some of them are symmetric and some are not. I would like
to diagonalize them. Now, the way I understand Matrix diagonalization is
that it is the process of taking a square matrix and converting it into a
diagonal matrix, where the entries in the diagonals are the eigen values. Is
this right?

I would like to do this in Stata. Since I couldn't find any command in Stata
that can do diagonalization directly, I thought if I could find the eigen
values, I could construct a diagonalized matrix with the eigen values in the
diagonals and zeros in the off-diagonals. In Stata, symeigen and genigen
calculate eigen values for symmetric and non-symmetric matrices,
respectively. Is there anything wrong in this process? Is yes, could you
please recommend how can I do diagonalization in Stata?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely,

Pinaki Mitra