st: RE: 2 step estimation: Probit - Tobit

From   "Daniel" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: 2 step estimation: Probit - Tobit
Date   Wed, 1 Oct 2003 18:38:31 +1000

Dear Julian,

Thanks for your reply but the double hurdle model seems more akin to the
Heckman (heckit) procedure than what I am looking for.

I'm looking for something similar to cdsimeq to estimate simultaneously a
probit and tobit rather than probit and OLS (as in cdsimeq). This can be via
any method, 2SLS, FIML, ML.

I would appreciate any assistance with this. I would be willing to pay
someone if the code is not something that is widely distributed.

Daniel,

It sounds to me like you are referring to a double hurdle model, which
estimates a system containing a probit (convertionally a participation
equation) and a tobit (often expenditure on durable goods). This model
cannot be estimated with two-step methods, but ML is consistent. If I am
understanding you correctly, and this is indeed what you want, I have
written the code for one, which is available at
http://www.som.hw.ac.uk/somjaf/stata.htm .

In terms of papers which have used this model, I would suggest looking
at
Flood and Gråsjö, 2001, "A Monte Carlo Simulation of Tobit models",
Applied Economics Letters, 8, pp.581-584
Jones, 1992, "A Note on Computation of the Double-Hurdle Model with
Dependence with an Application to Tobacco Expenditure", Bulletin of
Economic Research, 44, pp. 67-74

Julian