st: Multinomial logit

From   "Ronnie Babigumira" <[email protected]>
To   "Statalist" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Multinomial logit
Date   Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:22:00 +0200

Hi, (using stata8, win2K). I have a household data set and would like to
explain the choice of coping strategies.

3 main strategies are used by households however, some households choose
more than one strategy. After looking at the data, I have 6 "strategies". 3
are pure (if a household pursues either 1, 2 or 3 exclusively) and 3 are
mixed strategies (combinations of the pure ones to give new strategies 4, 5
and 6). The data would look something like this

hhid  strategy
1          2
2          3
3          1
4          5
5          4
6          1
7          6

I have been thinking of using a multinomial logit. My question is, is the
fact that strategy 2 is nested in 6 (which is a combination of 2 and 3) and
problem.

Put diffrently, is this methodologically sound

As always, looking forward to your comments and advice

Ronnie