st: RE: permutation and group structure

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: permutation and group structure
Date   Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:50:36 +0100

David Airey

> If I have 25 groups each with approx. 40 units each, and I want to
> re-order the data to get an empirical distribution of
> probabilities for
> a model (continuous response, one fixed effect, one random
> effect for
> group), what Stata commands should I be looking to? I
> understand Stata
> does nifty things with survey data where strata are a
> common concern,
> though I'm not too familiar with their use Is there an easy
> way to tell
> Stata to permute so that group is respected? That is, I
> don't think I
> want to re-order the data such that units change groups.

Not quite sure what you're after here.

. sort foo bar

sorts on -foo- and within groups of -foo- on -bar-.

Similarly,

. bysort foo (bar) : <whatever>

does that and then does <whatever> for
distinct groups defined by -foo-.

There was a fairly detailed tutorial on -by:- in
Stata Journal 2(1), 86-102 (2002).