st: command line Stata on Mac OS

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: command line Stata on Mac OS
Date   Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:05:09 -0500

I generally use Stata on Mac OS X, and being able to run it from the
command line in batch mode is very useful.  However, there are also
times when it would be nice to run Stata interactively from the
command line.  For example, suppose I have one very fast machine
(e.g., on my desktop) and one slower machine (e.g., a laptop).  Or,
suppose I have a large data file on my desktop machine, but want to
access it from my laptop without copying the whole file over a
network connection.  In both cases, it would be nice to be able to
login to my desktop machine and run Stata interactively over an SSH
connection.  And if I could then use X11 forwarding to send the
graphics back to my laptop, that would be ideal.

I realize that this would raise licensing issues, since in principal
such capability might be used to permit multiple users to use the
same copy of Stata.  But I was wondering if the folks at StataCorp
might comment on whether this capability might ever be made available.

Thanks,

-- Phil