st: Re: Using statsby command for large panel data set

Subject   st: Re: Using statsby command for large panel data set
Date   Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:19:07 -0400

I often need to do the same kind of thing on even larger datasets and have
found that commands like statsby (which use the construct "if bygroup==X")
are very slow when there are many panels because of repeated use of -if-
commands that require making a comparison for every observation in the
dataset.  Statsby would speed up considerably if you just made a series of
smaller datasets and combined the results.  But this approach seems kind of
silly and perhaps tedious unless you wrote your own wrapper for it.

Instead, I've written .ado code that uses -in- instead of -if- to identify
groups and find that it usually cuts down the calculation time by 85%-95% in
most fairly large datasets.  The code is hardwired to use -regress- and
saves a pre-determined list of statistics into the current dataset (repeated
across each panel).  Because of these limitations, I haven't posted it to
SSC.  I've been planning to change it to be a virtually identical standin
for  statsby (perhaps called statsbyin or statsbyfast) but haven't gotten
around to it.

If you want to see it or use it or adopt it for your needs, I can email it
directly to you.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]