RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: PDF Stata 8 manuals
Date   Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:24:13 +0100

Richard Herrell

> I recall we discussed the problem before about the ease of
> distributing
> pdfs.  I don't think it differs greatly from the free sharing of
> photocopies of chapters from SAS manuals I saw as a student
> and teacher
> "Say, can I make a copy of the logistic chapter?"  I now
> have a CD with
> the complete SAS manuals which is not expensive, takes up
> virtually no
> room on the shelf, and is wonderful to use since I can search it.

"Free sharing": in what sense?

Undoubtedly, to your main point.

My guess, however, is that SAS were never going to get you to buy
their complete manuals in printed form.
The revenue foregone is zero, in that respect.

Whereas how much are you paying for SAS? How much is your
institution paying for SAS?

As I understand it, the Stata and SAS financial models are
very different.

I know about Stata. I know next to nothing about SAS,
so I speak in ignorance.

As reminders, however, Stata give you

* technical support on current and previous versions
(if registered)
* free upgrades between releases
* indefinite rights once you have a licence (no
annual fees)

Stata charge you

* for buying a copy (once only)
* for upgrading a copy (as desired)
* for the manuals (each release, potentially,
although some skip a release or do not stay
current)

If SAS, or indeed any other statistical
software, has a similar pattern, then we
can compare like with like.

Otherwise, the only fair comparisons must
take into consideration the total picture
of what is free (not charged for) and what
is charged for.