st: RE: RE: tabulating frequency records

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: tabulating frequency records
Date   Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:06:30 +0100

Cornelia Zekweld

> I'm aware that table doesn't allow non-integers.  So when I
> used 0 for those
> freq <0.5 and tabulating them with -table-, this command
> didn't distinguish
> between zero frequencies and missing combinations.  I need
> a command that
> can distinguish between the two and found that tabdisp
> works fine, except I
> cannot get totals - that's why I worked with table since
> this command gives
> me totals, it's deciding which one to use since neither
> works perfectly.
> I've decided to go with tabdisp and transporting the tables
> to another
> package.

I understand now.

This is an old story. Stata ain't good
at guessing at what you mean. It takes
rather literally whatever you say. If you say
zero frequency, but don't really mean it, it
isn't subtle on the difference.

Some of us who would wash our socks with Stata
if it was supported don't like to think
of "other packages". How about

. table agentname agecat, c(sum AnnAvgActT)