st: Creating a time from event variable

From   "Landman, Todd" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Creating a time from event variable
Date   Wed, 9 Jul 2003 16:49:55 +0100

Dear List:

I have two separate questions:

(1) I have a treaty ratification variable that is coded as follows for the period 1976-2000:

0 = no signature
1 = signature
2 = ratification

How would I create a new variable that sums the years since full ratification, i.e. the total number of years from when the variable assumes a value of 2.

(2) The second question ivolves xtivreg with limited dependent variables. The treaty variable above is trichotomous. Do I need xtprobit? And is there an option to include an iv function? The estimates using xtivreg make sense intuitively but I am not sure that I using the correct procedure.

Cheers,

Todd