st: re. correct analysis of unusual outcome scale data

From   "roger webb" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re. correct analysis of unusual outcome scale data
Date   Wed, 9 Jul 2003 11:56:40 +0100

Dear Statalist

I have four outcome rating scales that measure separate domains
of mother-infant interaction on a scale of 1 (poor) to 5 (good). (Fiori-
Cowley A, Murray L, Gunning M. Global ratings of mother-infant
interaction at 2 and 4 months. 2nd edition. University of Reading,
UK).

The 4 domains are:
1. non-intrusive behaviour/intrusive behaviour
2. non-intrusive speech/intrusive speech
3. non-remote/remote
4. non-silent/silent

According to the authors instructions, the four domains can be
combined to create an 'intrusive to remote' summary score as
follows:

((intrusive behaviour+intrusive speech)/2 - (non-remote+silent)/2)/2

This summary score runs from -2 (intrusive) to +2 (remote), with a
score of 0 indicating that the mother is neither intrusive or remote.

Question:
I'm unsure how I should analyse these data as both extremes of
the scale (and anything other than a zero score) denote a poor
outcome. It seems to me that using linear regression would
therefore yield uninterpretable coefficients. Does anyone have any
better suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Roger Webb

School of Psychiatry & Behavioural Sciences
University of Manchester (UK)