RE: st: RE: Re: errors in outcome variables regression

From   "Mike Hollis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Re: errors in outcome variables regression
Date   Sat, 5 Jul 2003 11:28:59 -0700

Assuming "well behaved" measurement error in the dependent variable, the OLS
regression coefficient(s) will be unbiased.  But the standard errors for the
coefficients (and other statistics involving the variance of the dependent
variable) will be wrong.

Consider an extension of Mark's model where we add a single explanatory
variable and his error term distinguishing between the "true" and
"measurement" components of the error term:

  y = bo + b1X1 + u + u_m.

Under standard assuptions, the residual variance of y is then V(u + u_m) =
V(u) + V(u_m).  If y is measured without error, the standard error of b1
would be sqrt( V(u) / SSx ), where u_m=0 and SSx is the usual mean-corrected
sum of squares for X.  With measurement error, the standard error for b1
would be sqrt ( V(u) + V (u_m) / SSx).  Accordingly, in this case,
measurement error causes the true standard error of b1 to be overstated by 1
+ v(u-m)/v(m).  Other statistics involving either the variance of y or the
residual variance of y|x (e.g., simple correlation coefficient, R**2 for the
equation, standardized regression coefficients) will likewise be incorrect.