RE: st: Good News

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Good News
Date   Thu, 3 Jul 2003 20:14:54 +0100

Fred Wolfe

> As long as I am complaining, I would still like to see the
> 2nd graphics
> speed-up that was promised. One thing that would certainly
> make graphics
> faster would be to error check the syntax at the start, not
> after much of
> time in calling the graphics has past.

Naturally everybody votes for more speed.

However, everything I know about the new graphics --
and I have got a user-programmer's idea of what's
just below the surface -- indicates that this last
wish is simply not feasible in the way that Fred,
and of course everybody else, would like. It's just not
like one big .ado such as ordinary mortals can write. It's
inevitable from the kind of programming used that lots of
user mistakes are only detectable at a very low level.