Re: st: saveold

From   [email protected] (Shannon Driver, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: saveold
Date   Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:27:52 -0500

Fernando wrote:

> I have Stata 8 in my PC (Windows NT)  and my department has Stata 7 in a
> UNIX plataform. I wish to transfer some files from Stata 8 (that I have on
> my PC) into Stata 7 (and run them in my department's unix server).
>
> I am using "saveold dataname.dta, replace" but still once I use Stata 7 I
> am getting "file dataname.dta not a Stata format".
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

This same problem was recently posted on Statalist.  My advice was to make sure
your copy of Stata 7 is updated.  Here is a portion of my previous post.

> I was able to reproduce and solve this problem on Windows 2000 by updating.
> Here is what I did in Stata 8.
>
>      * Stata 8 Commands
>
>      . sysuse auto
>      (1978 Automobile Data)
>
>      . saveold oldauto, replace
>      file oldauto.dta saved
>
> And then in Stata 7:
>
>      * Stata 7 Commands
>
>      . use oldauto, clear
>      file oldauto.dta not Stata format
>      r(610);
>
>      . query born
>
>      . qui update all
>
>      * After completion of the update
>      . query born
>
>      . use oldauto, clear
>      (1978 Automobile Data)

If you continue to have the problem, please contact me privately and I will be
happy to look into the matter.

--Shannon Driver