st: RE: two-equation model with censored and binary dependent variables.

From   Ricardo Henriquez <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: two-equation model with censored and binary dependent variables.
Date   Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:36:05 -0400

Before considering the third issue you mention, your model could be
described as follow:

Y1 = a1X1 + B1Y2 + e1		(1)

Y2*= a2X2 + e2			(2)

where,
	Y1 is censored at zero
	Y2=1 if Y2*>0
	Y2=0 otherwise

1) To my knowledge this model is exactly the same as Model 5 described by
Maddala (1983 (pp. 120-121). This is a two-equation model which is estimated
using a two-stage procedure. Since your dependent variable is censored at
zero (left or right), you should use in the second stage a tobit censored
model (tobit). For the first stage estimation of your independent endogenous
binary variable (Y2* in our example) you can use probit (why not?). After
probit you just use predict to generate a new variable (Y2hat for instance),
that will be included as an extra variable in your two stage equation (the
one for your censored dependent variable).

2) The model defined by equations (1) and (2) is identified even if the
error terms (e1 and e2) are not independent and X1 includes all the
variables in X2. Also, you can use any set of variables as instruments for
Y2.

3) If I undertand right, what you refer as the third issue is actually how
to deal with simultaneity. In this case the model described by equations (1)
y (2) should be re-written as,

Y1 = a1X1 + B1Y2 + e1		(3)

Y2*= a2X2 + B2Y1 + e2		(4)

This means that additionally you need to get the predicted value for Y1,
from the second stage estimation of Y1, and use this predicted value (Y1hat
for instance)in your first stage estimation of Y2. However, here you surely
will face a problem of identification. I suggest you to check carefully
chapter 8 of Maddala (1983) to see the best way to deal with the
identification problem. Also see chapter 5 in the same book.

I hope this will be useful for you.

Ricardo Henriquez
Chile