st: RE: Stata 8 graphics

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Stata 8 graphics
Date   Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:37:57 +0100

R. Allan Reese

> I have some bad news and good news:
>
> Under Stata 7 you could (still can) draw any self-designed
> plot using the
> gph commands starting with a blank screen.  That system
> seems to have been
> abandoned - you have to start from a basic graph type.  I
> mention this
> because of a couple of recent requests could have been met
> by writing a
> program of gph calls.

The bad news is not really news, and in
a sense not correct either. Various
postings on Statalist have touched on this over the last
few months.

Underneath what you see documented in [G]
in 8 are various levels of graphics. Call what
is visible now the "upper level" and call
what is below and -- roughly -- equivalent
to -gph- the "middle level". There are lower
levels therefore.

We have been assured that the middle level will
be documented for user-programmers in due course.

My own guess from the runes is that this will
be done before the sixth Harry Potter book appears.
It is in the plans, however.