st: RE: RE: Product within a variable

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SK) (NASA)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Product within a variable
Date   Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:50:27 -0500

Or you could do it by logs if your variables takes on all positive values -
e.g.

             k          y
  1.         1          5
  2.         2          9
  3.         2          3
  4.         3          1
  5.         3          5
  6.         3          6
  7.         4          9
  8.         4          1
  9.         4         10
 10.         4          2
 11.         5          1
 12.         5          5
 13.         5         10
 14.         5          8
 15.         5         10

. gen double z=log(y)
. sort k
. egen sz=sum(z),by(k)
. gen p=exp(sz)

Then p contains the products, by k (subject to rounding errors).

. list k y p

             k          y          p
  1.         1          5          5
  2.         2          9         27