RE: st: Default precision - was Why does Stata do it wrong?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Default precision - was Why does Stata do it wrong?
Date   Wed, 11 Jun 2003 12:48:05 +0100

Fred Wolfe replied to Allan Reese

> >So, StataCorp, could the change to the default be made as
> a simple update
> >in the current version of the exe?  Would it have
> implications other than
> >the program not being BUG-compatible with the current version?
>
> One implication it would have, particularly for users with
> large data sets
> that may have memory constraints, would be for current
> analyses to fail
> because of insufficient memory. In addition, it would not
> be backward
> compatible. Perhaps a solution might be to have a -set
> default type (perm)-
> so that users would have the option to choose. For my own
> work, doubles are
> rarely needed, and I set them when they are needed.

In effect, users already have this choice. If you
want, put

set type double

in your profile.do. Absolutely no change needed
to executable.