st: RE: RE: counting subgroups in a large group

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: counting subgroups in a large group
Date   Fri, 6 Jun 2003 20:29:50 +0100

adonlan

> I need to find the number of groups in a larger group: the
> number of *sections
> in a *course.  Of course, I can do this:
>
> sort course
> by course: tabulate sections
>
>    One would then count the sections by eyeballing them in
> the tabulation, but
> in my data, a course can have many many sections.
>
>    The conceptual idea would be analgous to this fantasy coding:
>
> by course: codebook section

Sounds the same question as Jennifer Earl
on 1 June. She was also into code fantasies.

On your last detail, you can do this without anyone writing
new code:

separate section, by(course)
codebook `r(varlist)'

Otherwise please consult the archives for answers to Jennifer's
question from Scott Merryman and myself (somewhat overlapping:
I didn't see Scott's message at first in a string of spams).