st: Re: OS X update behavior

From   [email protected] (Kevin Turner)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: OS X update behavior
Date   Tue, 03 Jun 2003 17:31:42 -0500

David Airey <[email protected]> wrote:

>If you do have this problem, can you confirm my system's behavior?
>
>The renaming issue (bug) happens as usual (renaming from StataSE.bin to
>StataSE.1 with an icon change as well, from a Stuffit icon to a Stata)
>if I start Stata from Stata.do (pwd: /Applications/Stata/Stata Data/).
>
>The renaming bug does _not_ occur (though the icon does change from
>Stuffit to Stata) if I start Stata by double clicking the StataSE icon
>itself rather than the Stata.do file (pwd: /Applications/Stata/).
>
>I have tested this three times starting from each source and the
>behavior was 100% repeatable, using update executable with the force
>option.
>
>Any body have an idea as to the permissions settings for these two
>folders? And how to reset them to a proper state? I'm thinking either
>this or Stuffit might be the problem.

Solution:
Make sure you update the executable from the same directory that the executable
resides in. You can see your current directory with the Stata -pwd- command.
Double-clicking the executable (just prior to updating, as David mentions) is
a convenient solution to this issue.

The next update will correct this bug.

--Kevin