st: RE: SAVE GRAPHICS PNG

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: SAVE GRAPHICS PNG
Date   Tue, 3 Jun 2003 07:04:00 -0500

Deng Pan,
Here are snippets I have saved from other people. Might want to repost with
a subject (like the one above) to get better responses. Some people set
their e-mail to filter on subject.
Laurel Copeland

GRAPHS
Save graphs to a file (but not your log file, it seems).
findit save graphs
then choose the link to -grother-

GRAPHS
I thought the following email would be useful to all.

Last night yet, I saved a graph as an .eps file using the pull-down menus.
I then inserted it into Word (OS X, Service Release 1 version).  I had
actually tried this before, but could never see the graph in Word (it's
clearly there but I can't see it in normal view or in print preview).  This
time, however, I went ahead & printed it anyway.  What a gorgeous graph I
got!  Even when I print from Stata directly, the background shading doesn't
show up as well.  Clearly, I can be very happy with this .eps format but do
you have any idea why I can't see the inserted file in Word?  I realize that
this is in all likelihood a Word

Quite simply it's because Stata does not save file previews with its EPS
files.  Most applications that accept EPS files do not try to render the EPS
file to the screen but simply show a bounding box in its place if no file
preview exists.  It's up to the application that saved it to create the file
preview and embed it in the EPS file.  Regardless of whether a preview
exists or not, EPS files are simply passed through to the PostScript printer
so they'll always print fine.

We'll add creating previews to our to-do list but it basically involves
writing a Windows/Macintosh/Unix bitmap to TIFF converter and saving a TIFF
preview in the EPS file... no easy task.  Fortunately for Macintosh users,
TIFF/GIF/JPEG/PNG exporting capabilities are built into QuickTime and every
Mac with OS X has QuickTime so I'll take a quick look into it and see how
much work is involved.

-Chinh Nguyen
 [email protected]