st: Re: Logistic regression for matched data within clusters?

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: Logistic regression for matched data within clusters?
Date   Tue, 27 May 2003 22:31:05 +0900

John Gay posted last week on Thursday, May 22nd, 2003:

> Greetings:
>
> Using Stata 7.0, what is the best way to perform
> logistic regression on 1:2 matched (300+) pairs across 3
> clusters (41, 94, 173 pairs respectively) in a case:control
> study. The three independent variables are continuous. Any
> on-line examples? As a novice user of Stata, I can see how to
> handle the matching or the clustering but not both.
>
> Thanks.
> John Gay, Associate Professor, Epidemiology
> Washington State University

Since it's a matched-pair case-control study, it would call for a conditional fixed-effects
logistic regression, -xtlogit , i(pair_id) fe-, or -clogit , group(pair_id)-.  With only three
clusters, it doesn't seem as if it would be any benefit to treat cluster as a random effect;
that leaves cluster as a fixed-effect regressor variable that is in dummy (indicator)
variable form.  So, how about something like:

-xi: xtlogit outcome continuous1 continuous2 continous3 i.cluster, i(pair_id) fe-

 or

-xi: clogit outcome continuous1 continuous2 continuous3 i.cluster, strata(pair_id)-?

Joseph Coveney