st: Time dummies in fixed effects panel

From   "econ19691115" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Time dummies in fixed effects panel
Date   Mon, 26 May 2003 20:56:17 -0000

Hi there.
I am running a panel data model using Stata's xtreg command.
Some texts (e.g. Wooldrigde) frequently include time dummies (or in
Stata language indicator variables)in applications.
I get good results before including a complete set of time dummies,
but if I include the dummy for one particular year, the last one in
the panel, the results change dramatically! Only a couple of the
dummies are significant (T=5 N=60). Must I include them? Any
recommendations? What is happening here? Any remark regarding common
practice with dummies in panel data? Bibliography?

Many thanks