st: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: statistical significance in a data set with weighted observations

From   "Sayer, Bryan" <[email protected]>
To   "'[email protected] '" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: statistical significance in a data set with weighted observations
Date   Fri, 23 May 2003 17:47:47 -0400

If they are truly frequency weights (i.e. your data points correspond to
cell counts in a contingency table) then you need to use procedures that
accept fweight as an option, or else you need to expand your observations by
fweight.  Your denominator is the sum of the weights, in this case.

Bryan Sayer
Statistician, SSS Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Sent: 5/23/03 4:22 PM
Subject: st: Re: RE: Re: RE: statistical significance in a data set with
weighted observations

I apologize if my question was confusing. I know that the weights in my
sample are frequency weights. The problem is not in accounting for
weights
in the regression but in the statistical significance of the
coefficients. I
remember from literature that with weighted data one must be careful
with
the interpretation of statistical significance, as t-statistics tend to
be
overstated. I am curious if anyone knows how to account for this
statistically.

MM