st: Re: platform independence

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: platform independence
Date   Fri, 23 May 2003 07:19:54 -0400

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 02:33 AM, Kaleb wrote:

For example, one should be able to set up an adopath for a web site that
contains a central set of personal/custom ados. You could then run this
from anywhere in the world and know that you are always using the most
current versions. You should be able to use the "which" command with this
as well (another command that doesn't work with http probably due to the
same reason).

This is exactly the capability provided by Stata's "net" command, with the advantage that one is not forced to subsidize Bill Gates to use it.

Now, I'm not your average user, but I do see the long-term benefits for
others of making this possible. Currently & locally, we keep our ados,
data, and profile.do's on a central server so that we don't have to
constantly update each computer individually. Now that we have 15+ users
across the world, we need something similar. I have created a useful ado
archive system (easier to update/maintain than the .toc & .pck system
especially since most files are customized for our data) so these users can
get the newer or older versions of any of our ado files; they are all on
the web, and so far with XP it appears to work well.
The SSC archive runs with an 'ado archive system'--the .pkg files are autogenerated/updated from the RePEc templates which describe each archive entry, and the .toc files are automatically updated for new entries when a change is made. The Distribution-Date is also modified in that process. This is done with some fairly small and simple perl routines. There is no need to abandon the flexibility of Stata's "net from" tools in order to create customized ado-file collections (and since a package can contain 'ancillary files' such as data files...) I can readily imagine a true archive where the prior version of a routine would be moved to a separate directory, allowing version tracking a la CVS.

 It is for the
Win2k/Mac users that this becomes a problem.
I think that anything developed for (world-wide-)workgroup use using Stata must be done with platform independence in mind. Taking advantage of OS-specific features is very inimical to the nature of today's computing environment. It is not just non-updated Windozers and Mac OS X users--what about the increasing number of Linux users out there, or those (like myself) that make heavy use of Unix? Those data sites that assume that everyone in the world uses Windows are doing a great disservice to their potential clients (just as those dataset providers who assume that everyone has Some Alternative Software running on their desk...)

I also imagine that this will
be expanded to be a source of data files as well - it may be that we will
just need to map the web site(s) to local drives for security and ease of
use, but I thought you should at least know why this has become an issue
for us.

Also, I am still curious as to what Stata does to check the existence of
these web files checked using the -net- commands if -confirm file- isn't used.

I imagine someone in the know @ StataCorp will answer that.

Thanks
Kit