Re: st: adding lines to graph

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: adding lines to graph
Date   Wed, 21 May 2003 12:11:29 +0100

At 10:38 20/05/03 -0400, clara wrote:
I have a data set over a ten year period, and created a simple line graph to show the trend. however, i want to add in vertical lines at certain time points to indicate when specific events occured that explain why the trend is moving a certain way. for example, i want to add a line for september 11, to explain why employment might have dropped so drastically.

i don't know how to approach this. i tried looking through the manuals and online help, but don't really know where to start. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Clara doesn't mention which version of Stata is being used. However, in every version I have used, the answer is the -xline- statement, which is a little bit more complicated in Stata 8 than in Stata 7, because there is a greater choice of line formats. In Stata 8, see online help under -help added_line_options-. In Stata 7 or below, see on-line help under -help graph-.

I hope this helps.

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/