st: Factor Analyses with Large National Datasets

From   abianchi <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Factor Analyses with Large National Datasets
Date   Sun, 18 May 2003 08:51:15 -0400

Hello!

Has anyone attempted to do a principle component factor analysis on a large
national data set that requires stratified weighting (STRATA) and cluster
weighting (PSU)?  In Stata, when these weights are activated, you have to use
commands that start with SVY.  However, I noticed that there were no SVY
commands for factor analyses ... any suggestions?

I guess my real question is: can you use these weights and do a factor
analysis, or do you simply run the factor analysis without the weights, run
another test (like a reliability test) on the variables, then create a scale
or index to be used as an independent variable in, say, a regression?  Of
course, the regression will have to use weights, but perhaps you don't need to
use stratified and cluster weights in a factor analysis.

Please help!

Thanks, Alison